Expanded Armored Carrier Wellness Questions
April 30, 2020
On April 6, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and its offices in Seattle, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles and Phoenix began mandatory wellness checks of all armored carrier personnel coming to our docks to deliver and pick up cash.
Expanded wellness questions are now being asked
Previously, the wellness check questions asked armored carrier representatives if they were experiencing a fever with cough or shortness of breath, according to the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC has recently updated this guidance with six new indicators of COVID-19. While people who become seriously ill from COVID-19 infection primarily have acute respiratory distress, these additional symptoms may accompany the disease and may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
According to the CDC (Off-site), people with a combination of at least two of the following symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Effective immediately, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and its branches in Seattle, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles and Phoenix will begin to incorporate these symptoms into the wellness questions being asked of those entering Federal Reserve facilities. The wellness check process, which was previously communicated, is described below. As a reminder, all armored carrier representatives entering our buildings are required to wear a face mask or a cloth face covering.
Reminder: Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Wellness Check Process
Wellness checks of armored carrier personnel are conducted by a Federal Reserve Law Enforcement officer at the point of vehicle inspection and consist of wellness questions followed by a temperature check, measured with a contactless thermometer.
- If all carrier representatives pass the wellness check, the process will follow as normal.
- If there is only one armored carrier representative in the vehicle and they fail the wellness check, we will ask them to get back into the vehicle and leave.
- If there are more than one representative in the vehicle, one representative who passes the wellness check will be allowed to come on site but will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) which we will make available to them, consisting of masks and gloves, and instructions on how to don and doff these items.
- At least one representative must not fail the wellness check in order to be allowed to complete the transaction. This representative will don the PPE and be responsible for transactions with the Federal Reserve team members. All deposits must be wiped down with antiseptic wipes which will be provided.
- The representative(s) who failed the wellness check must stay in the armored carrier vehicle during the transaction.
- If all armored carrier representatives in the vehicle either refuse the wellness check, fail the wellness check or to don PPE, Federal Reserve Law Enforcement officers will ask them to get back in the vehicle and leave immediately without concluding their transactions.
Please contact the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Cash Customer Support desk at (888) 339-3506, Option 1, if you have any questions.
Thank you for your cooperation as the U.S. cash supply chain responds to the COVID-19 pandemic.