Lost Government Checks
Lost government checks processes, reporting time frames and actions.
Check the status of the item by utilizing the (TCVA) Treasury Check Verification Application (Off-Site).
If the item is unpaid and a photo is available, submit a Treasury Photo in Lieu of Original (PIL):
- Properly indemnify a legible photocopy of the front and back of the item(s).
- Place indemnified photocopy in a qualified carrier envelope.
- Submit the item in a paper cash letter deposit to the Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) of Atlanta (061000146).
If the item is unpaid and no photo is available, submit an Electronic (PIL) Case or mail an Adjustment Request Form (PDF) to Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Use the Product Class (PROD) Treasury (TRS):
- If a photocopy of the item(s) is not available, a signed indemnified Treasury PIL letter containing the Check Symbol, Account Number, Payee's name(s), Cash Letter or Entry Date (CLED) (if applicable), and the information indicating why a copy of the item is not available must be provided on the requesting bank's letterhead.
- Provide the FRB Sender’s Reference (SREF) number if charged as missing.
If the item is paid, submit an Electronic Source of Receipt (SOR) Case or mail an Adjustment Request Form (PDF) to Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Use the PROD TRS:
- Provide the Check Symbol, Account Number, Payee’s name(s) and Amount.
- Provide the FRB SREF number if charged as missing.
Lost Recurring Social Security Payment
For a lost recurring Social Security payment where no photo is available and the Check Symbol and Account Number is not known, submit an Electronic (PIL) Case or mail an Adjustment Request Form (PDF) to Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Use the PROD TRS:
Provide a signed indemnified Treasury PIL letter containing the Payee's name, Payee's Social Security number, the month the Social Security payment was issued, and CLED (if applicable) and the information indicating why a copy of the item is not available on the requesting bank's letterhead.
Information about lost government checks reporting time frames, actions and required fields.
|Reporting Time Frame
||Federal Reserve Bank Action
|Within one calendar year.
||Entry or resolution after research is completed, provided requirements are met.
- All electronic adjustment requests received by 5:00 p.m. ET with complete information wil receive same day acknowledgment. Supporting documentation, commonly referred to as Documents–to–Follow (DTFs) must be received within five business days of receipt of the electronic request.
- For all paper adjustment requests, acknowledge receipt of the request.
- If the item is paid, provide source information and advise the institution to deal directly with the offsetting institution.
For more information about check adjustment services, visit the Check Adjustments Services page.
Browse Government Items
- Postal Money Order (PMO)
- U.S. Savings Bond
- U.S. Treasury Check
Top of Page