Server Certificate Renewal
Server certificates are the means by which your organization is recognized and authorized to conduct business with the Federal Reserve Banks for certain critical payment and information services. These certificates expire every three years and must be renewed by the certificate renewal deadline. If your server certificate expires, your organization's ability to process transactions or files with the Federal Reserve Banks will be disrupted.
In order to help ensure continued access to Federal Reserve Bank Services, your organization must renew, download, install and test certificate(s) by the renewal deadline provided to your organization via email from the Federal Reserve Banks. In order to allow your organization to meet this deadline and avoid future service disruptions, we strongly encourage you to begin this process as soon as possible by completing the steps outlined in the Steps to a Successful Renewal Guide (PDF) .
This renewal is specific to server certificates and does not affect any FedLine Web® or FedLine Advantage® Subscriber credentials your organization may have.
Your organization is responsible for making all infrastructure changes required to implement and maintain connectivity. Due to the wide diversity of customer networks, the Federal Reserve Banks cannot provide specific guidance regarding the design of your network infrastructure.
Steps to a Successful Renewal Guide
A FedLine Project Manager will work with your organization to guide you through the certificate renewal process. Advance preparation is critical in helping to ensure minimal impact on your organization. You should begin planning for your organization's certificate renewal at least three months in advance of the renewal deadline.
Review the Steps to a Successful Renewal Guide (PDF) for detailed instructions on the renewal process, which includes a Certificate Renewal Timeline to help track your progress.
To get started on the renewal process, you must complete the applicable forms. Please select the form(s) that correspond to the FedLine Solution(s) that your organization uses and return the completed forms to the contacts indicated.
- FedLine Direct® Message Server Certificate Request Form (PDF)
- FedLine Direct File Server Certificate Request Form (PDF)
- FedLine Command® Server Certificate Request Form (PDF)
Your organization is responsible for making all infrastructure changes required to implement and maintain connectivity. Due to the wide diversity of customer networks, the Federal Reserve Banks cannot provide specific guidance regarding the design of your organization’s infrastructure, which includes IBM® MQ software for Fedwire® customers and IBM Connect:Direct® for FedACH® and Check 21 Large File Delivery customers. Your organization will need access to staff with the knowledge to back up, download, install and point your middleware to a server certificate. Your technical team will need to include staff with these skills. If you do not have someone on staff with these skills, you will need to enlist the assistance of your vendor who supports these software platforms to ensure appropriate resources are available during the renewal process. Additionally, your organization must verify that it has supported versions of IBM MQ and/or Connect:Direct software installed. Your organization could experience a loss of connectivity to the Federal Reserve Banks if all applicable software updates are not made prior to the renewal process. Please call the Support Center for a list of compatible software versions.
Frequently Asked Questions
To assist your organization in the renewal process, a list of Frequently Asked Questions is available.
Tips for a Successful Renewal
- Plan ahead – meet with your organization's Technical Contact and operations management to ensure that everyone is prepared for the scheduled renewal.
- Enter the key milestone dates for your organization in the Certificate Renewal Timeline available in the Steps to a Successful Renewal Guide (PDF), and ensure the Technical Contact and other key staff members do the same.
- Contact the Support Center with questions you may have during the process and prior to your scheduled test(s) to ensure you have made all of the necessary preparations.
- Contact your vendor prior to starting the renewal process to coordinate support as needed.
- Contact the Support Center at the beginning of the renewal process to confirm your organization has compatible software installed.
- Complete certificate testing for your test certificate(s) before starting on production certificates.
FedLine Project Managers are available to assist your organization throughout the renewal process. Please call the Support Center if you have questions about the renewal process.
"IBM" is a registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation. "Connect:Direct" is a registered trademark of IBM International Group B.V., an IBM Company.