Fedwire® Funds Service
The Fedwire Funds Service is the premier electronic funds-transfer service that banks, businesses and government agencies rely on for mission-critical, same-day transactions. Fedwire Funds Service participants benefit from the finality of payments credited to their Federal Reserve Bank master accounts.
Fedwire participants can use this service to send or receive payments for their own accounts or on behalf of corporate or individual clients, to settle commercial payments, to settle positions with other financial institutions or clearing arrangements, to submit federal tax payments or to buy and sell federal funds.
The Fedwire Funds Service is a real-time, gross settlement system. Each transaction is processed individually and settled upon receipt via a highly secure electronic network. Settlement of funds is immediate, final and irrevocable (See Operating Circular 6 for specific terms and conditions.).
The Fedwire Funds Service consistently exceeds availability standards and operates 21.5 hours each business day from 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the preceding calendar day to 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
Internet Protocol-based access is available via either the FedLine Direct® or FedLine Advantage® access solutions. Offline access is also available for lower-volume users.
Discover how the Fedwire Funds Service can benefit your financial institution
- Flexible online access alternatives
- Access to a broad network of approximately 7,500 financial institutions and government agencies
- Real-time processing
- Final and irrevocable funds settlement
- Immediate availability of funds
- Security and reliability
- Low transaction fees
- Access to streamlined after-the-fact analysis of payment transactions and a historical transaction database to help automate manual reporting processes with the FedTransaction Analyzer® tool
- Join the Payment Notification User Group and request email notification when a beneficiary's bank credits or otherwise pays the beneficiary (the beneficiary's bank must also be a member of the Payment Notification User Group)
Learn more about the Fedwire Funds Service by viewing the product sheet (PDF).
To start using this service, visit Fedwire Funds Service Setup or contact your account executive.
Visit the International Payments Resource Center to review all of your options for making international payments.
Top of Page