Lost PMO(s) Canadian

Your Action

Photocopies in lieu of lost originals for Canadian Postal Money Orders cannot be included in forward collection cash letters. The original check must be located and deposited in a separately sorted Canadian Cash Letter. If all options to locate the original PMO have been exhausted, then:

Submit an Electronic Case or complete an Adjustment Request Form (PDF) and send to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

Use Investigation Type (ITYP) Photo in Lieu (PIL), Product Type (PROD) Foreign Item (FRN) and Entry Type (ETYP) Request for Information (RFI). All adjustments are done on a without-entry basis.

In the comments (COM1) write: Need credit for Indemnified Canadian PMO Photocopy.

See the below sample of a properly formatted indemnity statement:

Indemnity Statement Example

"This is a photographic facsimile of the original check which was endorsed by the undersigned and reported missing or destroyed while in the regular course of bank collection. All prior and any missing endorsements and the validity of this facsimile are hereby guaranteed, and upon payment hereof in lieu of the original check, the undersigned will hold each collecting bank and the payor bank harmless from any loss suffered, provided the original check is unpaid and payment is stopped thereon."

Signed _____________________________
Bank Name _____________________________
Routing Number ______________________________

Reporting Time Frame and Federal Reserve Bank Action

Lost PMO(s) Canadian reporting time frames and actions.
Reporting Time Frame Federal Reserve Bank Action
Not applicable.
  • All electronic adjustment requests received by 5:00 p.m. ET with complete information will receive same day acknowledgment. Supporting documentation, (attachments), must be provided at the same time the electronic adjustment message is submitted.
  • For paper adjustment requests, acknowledge receipt of the request.
  • Submit to our Canadian vendor who will present it to the government office for reimbursement.
  • If it has not paid, pass credit to the depositor when credit is received from our Canadian vendor. If it has paid, provide source information and advise the requesting institution to deal directly with the source.