Non-Receipt of Cash/Return Letter Credit (MCL)
To print this page, go to File and select Print.
Depositing Institution – Paper Cash/Return Letter
ITYP Description | Proper Usage
Non-Receipt of Cash/Return Letter Credit (MCL) - Request to investigate a cash/return letter deposited with the Federal Reserve but for which credit was never received.
Submit an Electronic Case or Adjustment Request Form (PDF). Use Entry Type (ETYP) Request For Information (RFI).
If the Federal Reserve Bank responds stating, “No Record of Receipt,” check to see if the items have paid/been returned.
- If the items have not paid/been returned, follow the lost shipment procedures discussed in the Photo in Lieu (PIL) section.
- If the items have paid/ been returned, and the Federal Reserve Bank is not the source, deal directly with the source.
- If the items have paid/ been returned and the Federal Reserve Bank is the source, submit an Information Request (INFO) for the full amount of the cash/return letter (for example $1,345,634.21) providing paid source information for one of the items (for example, $8,964.62) in the comments field (COM 1). State: “Did not receive credit for cash/return letter dated mm/dd/yyyy, item paid. Paid source provided: AMT (of paid item), CLED, CLT, TT, SEQ, IBEF & IAFT.”
|Reporting Time Frame||Federal Reserve Bank Action|
|As soon as the error is discovered.||Respond within 20 business days.|
Attachments not Required
|Field Name||Paper Form||FedLine CA1000 Message|
|Sender ABA (SNDR) and Contact Information||Your institution's ABA number, Name, Street Address, City, State, Contact Telephone Number (TELE), Contact Name (CNTC) and Respondent's ABA number (if applicable)||Auto-fills with your institution’s 9-digit ABA number. Contact Name (CNTC) and Contact Telephone Number (TELE).|
|Receiver ABA (RCVR)||Receiving Federal Reserve Bank's name and/or ABA number||Auto-fills with the Federal Reserve Bank’s ABA number 061000146|
|Case Investigation Type (ITYP)||Missing Cash Letter (MCL)||Missing Cash Letter (MCL)|
|Message Type (MTYP)||Open (OPEN)||Open (CA1000)|
|Case Amount (AMT)||Amount of the cash letter||Amount of the cash letter|
|Entry Type (ETYP)||Information (RFI)||Request For Information|
|Sender Reference Number (SREF)||Your institution’s case number (max of 14 characters)|
|From Cash Letter ABA (FCL) & To Cash Letter ABA (TCL)||You sent the cash/return letter to the Federal Reserve
FCL - Your institution's ABA number
TCL - Federal Reserve Bank's ABA number
|Product Type (PROD)||The appropriate cash letter product type||The appropriate cash letter product type from the drop-down list|
|Cash Letter or Entry Date (CLED)||Date of the cash letter|
*Same Day Entry/Acknowledgement Requirements
All electronic adjustment requests received by 5:00 p.m. ET with complete information will receive same day entry/acknowledgement. Supporting documentation (attachments) must be provided at the same time the electronic adjustment message is submitted.
All paper adjustment requests received at the Check Adjustments Centralized Data Entry Site by 11:00 a.m. ET with complete information and documentation will receive same day entry/acknowledgement.
Select an Error Type
- Disposition (DISP)
- Duplicate Entry (DUP)
- Encoding Error (ENC)
- Entry in Error (ERR)
- Entry in Error (ERR) Claim of Damage
- Information Request (INFO)
- Late Return Claim (LC)
- Late Return Disclaimer (LR)
- Listed Not Enclosed (LNE)
- Missing Cash/Return Letter (MCL)
- Non-Cash Item (NCH)
- Non-Receipt of Cash/Return Letter Credit (MCL)
- Not Our Item (NOI)
- Original or Sufficient Copy Request (OSCR)
- Paid Item (PAID)
- Photo in Lieu (PIL)
- Photocopy Request (PREQ)
- Remote Deposit Capture (RDC) Item
- Source of Receipt (SOR)
- Unauthorized Electronically Created Item (UECI)
- Unauthorized Remotely Created Check (URCC)
- Warranty/Indemnity Claim (WIC) Check 21 or Electronically Created Item (ECI)
- Wrong Payee Credited (WPC)
Retired Investigation Types
The following investigation types (ITYPS) have been retired and are no longer in use as an ITYP. Refer to each ITYP for action steps should the need arise to report the error condition or service request.
Select an Error Type
- Advice Request (AREQ)
- Enclosed Not Listed (ENL)
- Expedited Recredit (EXRC)
- Extra Bundle (EBDL)
- Extra Cash Letter (ECL)
- Free Item (FREE)
- Listing Error (LST)
- Missing Bundle (MBDL)